I know this is the time of year when many of us decide on New Year’s resolutions. We have the best of intentions…but it doesn’t seem to take too long before we get behind…or life intervenes…or we decide they were just too difficult…or we’re too tired…or (whatever you want to add here)…and they fall by the wayside.
I think that this year, instead of resolutions, I’m setting goals. They seem to be more doable…more measurable…because they are more short-term and can then be revisited, revised, and renewed.
It’s still kind of scary to put them out here, because then I know I have to focus on them…because there are friends who will keep me accountable for them.
So what are my goals for the first three months of 2020?
- I will eat at least 3 servings of vegetables and fruits and I will drink at least 16 ounces of water each day.
- I will tidy up the house before going to bed.
- I will take 30 minutes each day of intentional quiet time for meditation / journaling / spiritual focus time.
- I will speak out regularly (whether through letter writing, posting, or blogging) on behalf of those who are being marginalized by this administration.
- I will enter financial expenditures on a weekly basis.
- My faith tradition has a prayer that I will pray each day, listening for where it leads me: God, where will your Spirit lead today? Help me be fully awake and ready to respond. Grant me courage to risk something new and become a blessing of your love and peace. Amen.
What are your goals?