I met God today…and God didn’t look at all like I expected!
God smiled at me…in the guise of a small child playing on the playground.
God asked me for help…as a homeless man standing on the corner of the intersection near my home.
God challenged me…in several disguises:
- as a protestor challenging unjust policies,
- as a policeman trying to create a safe environment,
- as someone at church whose political beliefs are very different from my own,
- as an immigrant struggling to speak English,
- as a young woman wearing a hijab,
- as a drag queen reading stories to children in the library,
- in an angry person, afraid of losing the privileges they have grown accustomed to,
- as a white supremacist,
- as a military veteran.
God needed me to stand with her…as a scared young woman who needed to tell her parents she was gay.
God asked me to share in rejoicing…as a same-sex couple committing themselves to each other in marriage….
God asked me to read other books of scripture in which God has shared Godself…telling me that each book of scripture is incomplete because none of us understand God completely.
God asked me one simple favor…to open my eyes so I can see God in every person, because each is created in God’s image.