Today may not be the best day to write this, since I’m more than slightly stressed–but I’m trying to figure out how to de-stress.
I look at the stacks of “stuff” on my desk–most of them representing projects that need to be finished…or the remains of projects that need to be filed. And sometimes I’m just not sure where to even start. I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels this way!
So how do I deal with it? Sometimes better than others.
Here are some of my ideas. I’ve tried putting down the ones that are more healthy ways of dealing with it–the others just really end up adding to the stress. Others are welcome to chime in! Maybe between us we’ll come up with some things that will meet each of our needs. Then the big challenge will be deciding that it’s important enough to actually do one of these things to destress!
- Take a nice warm bath while reading a magazine or a good book. This is my favorite–but its disadvantage is that it’s hard to do this one at work!
- Escaping into a good book
- Lighting a candle and watching its flame for a while
- Taking a walk
- Pausing for a time for meditation
- Poking my head in another office to visit (briefly) with a coworker
- Drinking a cup of chai
- Deciding to ignore everything else and clear the clutter away
- Playing on the piano or organ
- Listening to some music on Pandora
- Playing a quick game
- Writing in my journal
- Writing a quick note to a friend
- Making a list of the things I’m grateful for